Sunday, February 1, 2009

B&B Apple Berry Cake


I love making this cake because it always looks so pretty (and yes, it is very tasty). Here are my only complaints on this recipe, it takes a while to prepare and I always lose the recipe. I had to go through my old Lewis Laughter's to find the recipe. Then I had to call Mom to clarify a few things. So, I usually spend an hour preparing (looking for recipe included). Anyhow, here it is:

B&B Apple Berry Cake


Dry Ingredients:

3 c flour
2 c sugar
1 tsp salt
1 Tbs baking powder

Wet Ingredients:

1 c Canola oil
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla

4 Granny Smith apples, sliced very thing
1/2 c fresh blueberries

sugar and cinnamon, to taste

After separately mixing the dry and wet ingredients, combine them until smooth and no more. Put half of the cake dough in a tube pan (buttered and floured). Put half of the sliced apples and half of the blueberries on top. sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon to taste. Add rest of dough and then layer with the apples and blueberries. Sprinkle more sugar and cinnamon. Bake at 350° for 1 hour. Check with bamboo stick for raw spots. Cook longer if needed. Cool ten minutes and unmold. Serve warm with whipped cream.

Okay, here are the variations to this recipe. I usually don't care to use so much oil in a recipe so you can use the squeezable Parkay, or melt one stick butter and add 1/2 cup of the Canola oil. I like to have a buttery taste in my cake. Also, 4 medium Granny Smith apples leaves me with about 2 apples left over. It depends on how thin you slice your apples on how much you have left over. Check the cake with a bamboo stick to make sure it is cooked all the way. I always have to leave it in for another 10 minutes.

1 comment:

Nonna-L said...

You had apple leftover because you are supposed to have 3 layers. Even with 2 it looks very yummy...I'm dreaming with the aroma. Hummmm......Great job! Hugs.