Monday, April 15, 2013

Fun Day With Abuelo

Abuelo (Dad) was here for Donna's wedding and spent the day with us today. We took a day trip to Eureka and visited the museum up there. There's a good piece of Utah history in that town. Mike and I knew Dad would enjoy the trip out there because of all the mining and rocks. The first time Mike and I were there Lyman was our tour guide, but he was sick today, so June and Collette were our guides. The people in Eureka are very nice.

For dinner, we met up with Andy's family (some weren't able to come). We ate at El Azteca and had fun visiting.
Benjamin learned a new trick of blowing bubbles from his mouth. He entertained us all.
 
We also had an early celebration for Dad's birthday, which is later this month. I made truffle stuffed cupcakes. I got the recipe from Sweet as Sugar Cookies. The recipe Lisa uses calls for the Lindt truffles. However, I bought my truffles as See's Candy. Dad loves the penuche (butterscotch squares) from See's. I also used marzipan, dark chocolate truffles, and mint patties; all from See's. Instead of making the orange cream frosting from the recipe, I made a chocolate ganache and dipped them twice in the frosting. I used different sprinkles to identify which truffles I used in the cupcakes.

I didn't bake the mint patties into the cupcakes. I thought that the mint might over power the other cupcakes and end up seeping into the other cupcakes during baking. So, I inserted them after baking and frosting the cupcakes, shown at the bottom.

The chocolate is very rich, so you may want to have a glass of cold milk near by to wash it down. It also would be nice to share with someone. I love this recipe and will use it again.





No comments: