Saturday, September 20, 2014

Zucchini Bread

I'm not afraid of zucchini bread any more, or zucchini. I didn't like the stuff growing up, but I finally developed a taste for it. Well, here's my first zucchini bread and I think it turned out pretty yum.

Zucchini Bread

Dry Ingredients:
1 1/4 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Wet Ingredients:
3/4 sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 C canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

2 C grated zucchini, squeezed of excess moisture

Preheat oven to 350°F. Whisk together dry ingredients in medium bowl and set aside. In large bowl, blend together wet ingredients. Blend the zucchini in well. Scrape into greased loaf pan. Bake for about 45-50 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan.

This recipe also called for 1 1/2 cup ground pecans or walnuts. I omitted them because occasionally I share treats with those that have nut allergies. Since the nuts were ground, I imagine the purpose is to soak up some of the excess moisture from the zucchini. However, even though I love adding nuts to my food, I found that I like how it turned out without the nuts.

Also, I was on my way out the door after the bread finished baking so I had to remove the loaf from the pan without letting it cool properly. As a result, the bottom stuck to the pan. I scraped it in to a bowl and Benjamin and I enjoyed the little treat as we drove to our destination.

No comments: