Saturday, May 22, 2010

Chocolate-Pecan Pie


I have made a pecan pie once before and forgot how easy it was to make. So when it came to making this Chocolate-Pecan Pie it was super easy. The recipe comes from my calendar. Of course, everyone enjoyed the pie at work and at book club when I made it for them as well.

Chocolate-Pecan Pie

Pie Crust (home made or store bought)

Filling:
1 c light corn syrup
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
1 c semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 c pecan halves

Topping:
10 pecan halves
1/2 c whipping cream, whipped

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Make pie crust for 9-inch pie dish.

In large bowl, beat corn syrup, sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs with wire whisk until well blended. Reserve 2 tablespoons chocolate chips for topping; stir in remaining chocolate chips and 1/2 cups pecans into corn syrup mixture. Pour into pastry-lined pie plate, spreading evenly. cover edge with 2-to 3-inch-wide stripes of foil to prevent excessive browning; remove foil during last 15 minutes of baking.

Bake 55 to 65 minutes or until deep golden brown and filling is set. Cool completely, about 1 hour.

Meanwhile, line cookie sheet with wax paper. In small microwaveable bowl, melt 2 tablespoons chocolate chips on medium 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until melted; stir. Dip each of 10 pecan halves in chocolate; place on cookie sheet. Refrigerate until chocolate is set; 15 to minutes, before serving.

Just before serving, top pie with whipped cream and chocolate-dipped pecans. Store in refrigerator.

I've made this pie twice, once it was served after being chilled and the other when it was cooled with the recommended amount of time. I prefer eating the pie when it is chilled. I like the chocolate chips when they have solidified again.

No comments: