Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Calo Flamenco


Last night I went to the Calo Flamenco: Ballet de Martin Gaxiola performance at BYU. Calo Flamenco is a group from Phoenix, AZ and ended their tour at BYU.

They were amazing and danced with so much passion you could see it and not help feeling it yourself in every movement they made, every stomp of the foot, every graceful flip of the hand to the fingertips, every shoulder shrug and the expressions on their faces. I'm tempted to learn the flamenco now.

Martin Gaxiola performed a solo that was spectacular. He knows how to work a crowd. You could feel a whole range of emotion, which I cannot express easily in writing. There was power, grace, and playfulness.

The group had a live band play for them. It's a good thing I can understand Spanish so I could understand my favorite song of the evening called Sin Ti. It's a beautiful and touching song about losing a loved one...seconds, minutes, hours, days, nothing is worth living without you...there is no hope...I'll never be able to touch you again.

No comments: