
I went to the performance of Wang Jianxin and Li Fengyun in September. They teach at the Tianjin Conservatory of Music in China and have been on tour. I really enjoyed the music. During the performance Wang Jianxin explained the different instruments that they played. I was very impressed with their talent.

The instrument above is the xun which is made of clay. It is also called an ocarina.

This instrument is the xiao. This flute is played vertically.

The qin is a very beautiful instrument. The one that Li Fengyun played was at least 600 years old. It has a very unique sound to it that can evoke different emotions. I enjoyed watching her play this instrument.

The pipa looks like a guitar. The name comes from the direction of strumming the strings--"pi" is strum in one direction and as you come back to strum in the other direction it is "pa". I thought it was a cute description.

The last instruments that were played were the di-zi. These flute like instruments come in all sizes and are played horizontally.
I really enjoyed the music and talent from that evening.
1 comment:
WOW! Amazing instruments. Ariana is learning how to play the ocarina. Thank you for the pictures and info. Mom.
Post a Comment