Sunday, April 26, 2009

Saucy Chocolate Pudding


This has a rich chocolaty taste that is very filling. It isn't very sweet since it's make with dark chocolate and unsweetened cocoa.

Saucy Chocolate Pudding

1 ¼ cup milk
2 ¾ ounces dark chocolate
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 cup 1 tbsp superfine sugar
½ cup butter
1 ¼ cup self rising flour
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
Confectioners’ sugar, to dust

For the Sauce:
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
4 tbsp light brown sugar
1 ¼ cup boiling water

Lightly grease a 3 ¾ cup ovenproof dish. Place the milk in a small pan. Break the chocolate into pieces and add to the milk. Heat gently, stirring until the chocolate melts. Let cool slightly. Sir in the vanilla extract.

Beat together the superfine sugar and butter in a bowl until light and fluffy. Sift the flour and unsweetened cocoa together. Add to the bowl with the chocolate milk and beat until smooth, using an electric beater if you have one. Pour the mixture into the prepared dish.

To make the sauce, mix together the unsweetened cocoa and sugar. Add a little boiling water and mix to a smooth paste, then stir in the remaining water. Pour the sauce over the pudding, but do not mix in.

Place the dish on a cookie sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 40 minutes, or until dry on top and springy to the touch. Let stand for about 5 minutes, then dust with a little confectioners’ sugar just before serving.

So I don’t have superfine sugar. I don’t think it made too much of a difference. At least I’d like to say I couldn’t tell, but since I have never baked with superfine sugar I really don’t have any comparison. This recipe came from my Chocolate cookbook (not the same one as the last recipe posted). Try not to over bake. I think I should have chosen a different dish to bake the pudding so the top took a little longer to cook. The sauce is supposed to be a little more runny.

Also, I really need to invest in a new mixer. The one-beater beater is threatening to die on me. It was probably never meant to last for 15 years, but I’m trying to get all the life out of it I can. The next dessert I want to make is a chocolate soufflé. However, I know that I can’t do it with the poor one-beater beater. So everyone will just have to wait for the soufflé.

No comments: